Making meals is hard and planning ahead when grocery shopping can feel really overwhelming. This a quick and easy one-pot meal that tastes delicious, costs minimal amounts while being made of mostly pantry staples, and is a relatively balanced meal. Let me know what your go to easy meal is!
- One box shell noodle Mac&Cheese (store brand: $1 per box)
- One can tuna fish (roughly $1.50)
- 1/2 a cup of frozen peas ($1.50 per package)
- 1-2 tbsp. Butter
- 1-2 tbsp. Mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp (2/3 shakes) dried Thyme
- Boil water for mac and cheese and cook noodles according to directions. With 5 minutes left on cooking time add the frozen peas to the pot.
- Strain noodles and peas into colander. Pour back into to pot add butter and coat noodles and peas.
- Add in tuna, mayo, and lemon juice and combine well.
- Pour in cheese packet from box, thyme, and add pepper to taste.
So one of my goals for this year was to get better at cooking a variety of food. One of the meals I have actually have made several times is Pasta Carbonara. However traditional carbonara is made with you know nice ingredients, nice Parmesan, shallots, etc. So I have learned to make a cheap carbonara that for around $5. These proportions should serve about 4 with a possibility for left overs. I really like it because it is so protein dense but still filling and tasty.
- Box of Pasta ($1)
- 4 eggs ($0.32)
- Parmesean-Romano Shakey cheese ($2.39)
- 3 hot dogs (appx. $1)
- Black Pepper
- Lemon Juice (optional)
- Boil water and cook the pasta
- Saute half a diced onion and three diced hot dogs til both are golden brown
- In a separate bowl combine 2 whole eggs and 2 egg yolks, one cup of the Parmesan-Romano, salt, and lots of pepper
- When pasta has been strained add back to pot with hot dogs and onion. Then slowly add egg mixture stir constantly. The heat of the pasta and meat will cook the egg into a sauce.
- Top with pepper and more cheese if you so wish and cut with lemon juice.