We are moving! Surprise, we don’t move for 4 more weeks but we are starting to figure out packing and logistics. It is really interesting figuring out a move with my partner for a couple reasons:
1) last time we were moving from two different states in with each other after being long distant for a year and it was a bring what you can take from your parents and go. Believe me we did and it was glorious, but now we are figuring out how to move together and not as individuals.
2) Not including college/internship dorms and apartments, our current apartment is the 10th place I have lived. Not including my college years, this is my partner’s second EVER. Isn’t that wild! However, it made it hard for them to consider a new place not home but a place to live for a while.
As you may have ascertained from the many moves and if you include college we are at 15 I believe, I am kind of veteran of moving. I have been through the paces quite a few time. The worst time in a move is the week before. Not just because you are boxing up your life but often when you need things they are already in a box and you can’t remember which one. Also, where you live is just where you live, anywhere can be home.
Some tips and tricks we will be using in the next month:
- Using paper plates and utensils the week leading up to the move so we can pack our kitchen with less stress.
- Using clothing/bedding as padding for fragile objects. It saves money and reduces space to create in boxes and other storage.
- Save your boxes for things that can’t be moved in luggage, laundry hamper, bags. You need a lot fewer than you think.
- Take pictures of the apartment as you move out as well as move-in. This will help with any damage claims from future and previous landlords.
- Agree to a system of packing before you start.
- If you can set aside some money to order food for the overlap days in-between places or at least the last and first day in each place.
Wish us luck on the big move!