So one of my goals for this year was to get better at cooking a variety of food. One of the meals I have actually have made several times is Pasta Carbonara. However traditional carbonara is made with you know nice ingredients, nice Parmesan, shallots, etc. So I have learned to make a cheap carbonara that for around $5. These proportions should serve about 4 with a possibility for left overs. I really like it because it is so protein dense but still filling and tasty.
- Box of Pasta ($1)
- 4 eggs ($0.32)
- Parmesean-Romano Shakey cheese ($2.39)
- 3 hot dogs (appx. $1)
- Black Pepper
- Lemon Juice (optional)
- Boil water and cook the pasta
- Saute half a diced onion and three diced hot dogs til both are golden brown
- In a separate bowl combine 2 whole eggs and 2 egg yolks, one cup of the Parmesan-Romano, salt, and lots of pepper
- When pasta has been strained add back to pot with hot dogs and onion. Then slowly add egg mixture stir constantly. The heat of the pasta and meat will cook the egg into a sauce.
- Top with pepper and more cheese if you so wish and cut with lemon juice.